DODGE CARAVAN COMPRESSION PROBLEM

1999 Dodge Caravan • 140,000 miles

I have done a tune up from the rotar to the plugs. I have a miss in #4 and #5. I also have white steam coming from the exhaust. With a smell I cant describe. But the tricky part is im not losing any coolant. I have been chasing this problem for weeks and I am stumped. Please help. Also there is enough condensation from the exhaust it will run down the drive way.

Before goiing through too much trouble, double check your spark plug wires to be sure they are on the proper terminal on the distributor cap. I have attached a picture of the diagram for the spark plugs. (Not sure which engine you have--let me know if your engine isn't on the diagram)

If the spark plugs wires are correct then it sounds like a blown head gasket. Have a compression check done on those two cylinder (all cylinders actually). You can sometimes rent a compression gauge from a local auto part store. (They will fully refund you money when you return the tool).

If possible, have a shop to do a cylinder leakage test on those cylinders if the compression test shows low compression. This test forces compressed air into the cylinder. In your case if the air comes out of the ajacent cylinder, it would indicate a blown head gasket, warped or cracked head.

Freemba