COOLING FANS WILL NOT COME ON/COOLANT RESAVOR BURPS OUT COOLANT WHEN OVERHEATED

1999 Chevrolet Malibu • 80,000 miles

Changed water pump, thermostat, coolant tep sensor, flushed system, checked all fuses and relays, bled air from system. Fans come on when A/C is turned on, fans come on when coolant temp sensor is disconnected. BUT will not come on during normal operation with out using A/C. Dash gauge works fine and with the needle hits 2 marks above mid way coolant comes out of resavor tank every time. Any suggestions
Mikecarwile

Have you checked the radiator cap?Also what temp does the coolant strat boiling over?You really need a infared temp gun to safely diagnose overheating problems.

First thing I did was to replace the cap. Have no idea as to the temp boil point. What elses is ther to replace? I think ive replaced everything possible to include new coolant when it was flushed and pressure checked.

Mikecarwile
If you unplug the coolat temp sensor and the fans come on you know the circuit is good.I would like to know if the ecm is reading the correct coolant temp. You would need a scan tool that reads live data to check that also a infared temp gun to compare actual temp to what the temp the ecm is seeing and reading

If the ECM isnt reading the correct coolant temp then I asume its a bad ECM?(Bascially its the only part that I havent changed in the cooling system) so I might as well purchase one instead of buying all this test equipment that may tell me its bad? Thanks again.

Mikecarwile
You missed my point the wiring might be good enough to put the fan into default mode doesnt mean its good enough to read the correct values back to the ecm. When I diagnose a problem I always check everything not guess and start replacing parts. If you want to do that good luck to you with replacing the ecm but iam not telling you its bad or that it should be replaced at this time. If your going to diagnose and repair your car the right way you have to buy tools etc to repair and diagnose it properly. If you need anymore help let me know and I will be more then happy to help you.

Also a cheap scan tool that reads live data is like 50 something on amazon a infared temp gun is 50 or under. Cheaper then a ecm and now you have tools for the time you have a car to work on.

Okay so then what on earth (that I havent all ready replaced with premium NAPA parts which believe it or not are not expensive vs test equipment that will only be used one time). What parts/wiring harness that havent been replaced would cause this possiblty "wiring might be good enough to put the fan into default mode doesnt mean its good enough to read the correct values back to the ecm".

Mikecarwile
Maybe below might help

The coolant temp. Sensor and a relay control the fans. If u start and run it with the a/c off. Do the fans turn on? If no start by replacing the cts its cheap. God bless ty for using 2carpros pl try to donate.

Cadieman
Rasmataz thats much. Cadieman I did change the cts and they still not come on. Thats why I am here : -)

Mikecarwile