CHEVROLET BLAZER STARTER PROBLEM

1999 Chevrolet Blazer • 180,000 miles

My blazer has had starting issues for a while. Usually it would crank and run no problem after the second turn of the key. Now, it will try to turn over but has a serious voltage drop when trying to start and will sometimes start after numerous tries, other times not at all. I have a fully charged battery with 665 cca verifed. Replaced all battery cables, checked connections at starter. All good. I have noticed the cable going from battery to starter gets very hot, and the starter also gets hot and will smoke after trying to start several times. Ground wires all appear ok. Verified no problems with neutral safety switch. What am I missing?
Chypes1971

Check the starter for draw, it'sprobably shot.

Do you think maybe just the solenoid should be replaced? The starter motor is turning, but it does appear to be drawing alot of current because after a few tries at starting all voltage drops down to virtually nothing. Also, if I put an external charge on it overnight, I can usually get it to start in the morning, but after removing the additional charge, it wont start again and draws all voltage down to nothing.

Chypes1971
Normally those are replaced as a pair. No way should a positive cable get hot and smoke when trying to start the vehicle.