CHEVY NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH

1989 Chevrolet Blazer

1989 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 266000 miles

I have the new switch as old one burnt up so my question is how do I install it. I see the wires and plug ins and notice an indentation on back of steering column. How does that little tab go? Is switch supposed to be on top of the indented area? Is tab supposed to fit in that slot? Do I disconnect negative cable first? Hate to sound so stupid but?
Terry4358
Terry4358

Are you trying to replace the neutral switch or ignition? Install like the old switch

Docfixit
THE OLD SWITCH WAS BURNT AND WIRES DANGLING. WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS HOW DO I PUT THIS NEW NEUTRAL SWITCH ON THE STEERING COLUMN. I SEE ABOUT WHEREW IT WAS. APPEARS TO BE AN INDENTATION IN STEERING COLUMN. IS THIS WHERE I SNAP IT ON THE COLUMN? IS THAT SMALL TAB ON SWITCH SUPPOSED TO BE IN WHERE INDENTATION IS?

Terry4358
What you need is ignition switch not neutral. Glad you told about dangling wires. Any info is helpful as Iam not there and cannot see what is going on.
Are wires in the terminal or is it gone if so big problem. Switch held on by two small bolts and that coat hanger thing Attaches to switch.
You will need pics and wiring diagram so click on site at bottom of reply ie. Manuals and get info for the job.

Docfixit
Ok. Let me try and explain a bit better. It is a neutral switch that is gone as I went to junk yard and saw how wires were and put clips on wires so I could cloamp onto new neutral switch. It saYS IT JUST CLAMPS ONTO STEERING COLUMN AND I AGREE IT PROBABLY DOES BUT MY QUESTION IS WHERE AND HOW THEW SWITCH FITS. The slot near bottom of steering column seems to be place to fit it in but is yellow tab supposed to be in slot?

Terry4358