WHY WON'T MY ENGINE LIGHT TURN OFF?

1999 BMW 323 • 105,000 miles

My check engine light is showing and the diagnostic test revealed codes 1087 and 1088, which pertain to faulty oxygen sensors. I have replaced all four oxygen sensors with brand new boesch oxygen sensors; but engine light is still on and codes 1087 and 1088 are still showing? Is their anything I can do to permanetly keep the engine light off because I need to get my car inspected; but it won't pass the emissions test because of the engine light showing? Help please!
TomBall

You need to have the codes cleared. If you're just going to an auto parts store with a cheap scanner, they can't clear the codes for you. You can either have an import shop clear them for you, which they will probably charge you because the tool is very expensive, or you can try this. Take the negative terminal off the battery, turn the key on for a minute to drain any existing power in the system and then turn it off. Then reinstall the negative terminal. If your light is off, you'll have to drive it for a couple of days before having it inspected because if you don't your car will tell the testing facility that it does not have enough data logged to have the testing performed. This may not clear your light, some cars must have the light turned off by the correct tool and the battery trick won't work. It's worth a shot though. I know that on my BMW I can clear the engine light this way but not the airbag light. Good luck. Let me know if it works.

ProAutoTech