STARTING ISSUE

1999 BMW 323 • 6 cylinder 2WD • 158,000 miles

1999 BMW 323 I cov. E36 with M52 engine autom tranny: original symptom, starter would begin to engage then banging noise from starter. Replaced starter, banging noise returned after a few days, second event of noise, something tore the front cover off the starter! Told the torque converter or flywheel ringgear was the culprit, replaced the converter, new flywheel and starter. First morning after picking up car, it would not start, only begins to turn over and stops dead. Waited 30-45 secs and it starts. Don't believe starter is the issue, almost like converter won't spin with starter. Good plugs and coils. Thanks for your help, running out of options and money.
Rhmuir

Sounds like the money spent on the starter should have gone to deal with the possibility of coolant getting into the cylinders and hydraulically locking the engine, just a guess.

Dr. Hagerty
Dr. Thanks for your time and answer, no evidence of coolant locking the engine, no coolant loss or exhaust evidence. If this was happening would the event be random? Car has started after waiting a few moments

Rhmuir
The starter blowing up kinda scares me.

Dr. Hagerty
Whatever happened, tore the shield, covering the pinion gear, off of the front of the starter. Replaced the battery about 3 months ago with a 97 group battery, there was a choice between the 48 group and 97 group and since it is a conv I chose the larger. This is the only other thing that has been replaced since this strange sequence of events began over the last 60 days. The battery replacement was the first event in the sequence. Thanks for your thoughts.

Rhmuir