BUCKING

1998 Toyota Rav4 • 4 cylinder AWD Manual • 170,000 miles

My '98 RAV4 is bucking strongly, it is worst when decelerating at under 3,000 rpm, it also has a strong exhaust smell like unburnt fuel while idling, any ideas?
Clmbandski

Is it well serviced?

Sixpack Subaru
Check engine light on? If yes have codes been read?

Docfixit
Sixpack Subaru- things have been a little tight lately so I am a bit behind on scheduled maintenance but overall it is well maintained.

Docfixit- the check engine light was on briefly at one point but it has since gone off again.

I know this age group is famous for O2 sensor issues, the unburnt fuel smell makes me wonder if it might be another sensor issue. Has anyone experienced surging/bucking due to a faulty O2 sinsor?

Clmbandski
The unburnt fuel smell indicates it is most probably a misfiring cylinder. Have the spark plugs and related components checked.

The CEL indicating briefly could mean a truble code has been stored. Get a free scan done at parts stores and let us know what it is.

Speculating is not going to get you anywhere.