SUBARU OUTBACK ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Subaru Outback • 140,000 miles

My 98 Outback 2.5 engine is making a high pitched sound corresponding to rpms, it comes from front of the engine and sounds almost like small jet engine whine. You can here it from the inside of the car when driving
LanceRichardson

THE DARN SOUND WILL HAVE YOU THINKING IT COULD BE ANYTHING UNDER THE HOOD---SOMETIMES IT'S HARD TO SEGREGATE THE SOUND FROM OTHER STUFF

TAKE A 3-4 FOOT LONG PIECE OF 1/2"-3/4" HEATER OR GARDEN HOSE. SHOVE ONE END IN YOUR EAR. USE THE OTHER LIKE A STETHOSCOPE

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY MOVING ENGINE PARTS!

******************I'M SORTA BETTING IT'S YOUR THROTTLE BODY. THE GASKET IS DOING THE KAZOO THING

REPLACING THE GASKET IS MOST LIKELY YOUR FIX

BE SURE THAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH THE CJ MEDEVAC-0-MATIC STETHOSCOPE

IF NOT, USE IT TO CONTINUE YOUR SEARCH

ANOTHER THING THAT YOU MIGHT CHECK OUT--SHOULD THE "STETH" NOT DO THE TRICK

HOW 'BOUT THIS TEST. IT WILL ELIMINATE EITHER A SERIOUS ENGINE ISSUE OR IT WILL ELIMINATE THE BELT DRIVEN PART

TAKE THE BELT OFF. TURN ALL OF THE PULLEYS BY HAND. ARE THEY SMOOTH.(THE HARMONIC BALANCER IS NOT INCLUDED)

NEXT

WITH THE BELT STILL OFF. FIRE HIM UP.(NO MORE THAN FOR A MINUTE OR SO!. AS YOUR WATER PUMP WILL NOT BE CIRCULATING)

ARE WE EXPERIENCING THE SOUND NOW?

THIS WILL ELIMINATE ACCESSORIES----OR MAYBE IT IS NOW MORE OF AN INTERNAL ENGINE NOISE

OK. SHUT HIM DOWN

WHAT HAVE WE DEDUCED FROM THIS. NOISE QUIT? OR IS IT IN THE ENGINE?

YOUR TURN. REPLY BELOW

KEEP US POSTED