4 CYL STARTED RUNNING BADLY

1998 Subaru Outback • 4 cylinder AWD Automatic • 185,000 miles

1998 Subaru Outback 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 185,000 miles. My outback started running badly in the last couple week. It ran fine up until then. Now it won't idle, missing so badly at lower engine speeds that it quits. Seems to run fine at higher engine speeds, kicks into passing gear okay and accelerates fine with pedal to the metal. The check engine light has been on and the OBD2 code reader indicates P0302, 3, 4 indicating misfire. I changed spark plugs which it needed badly but it didn't help. Seems unlikely all the plug wires would go bad at the same time, or coil etc. For that matter. Any suggestions? Could it be a fuel injection problem? What to do?
2CarPros-Archives

Start with the basics first, plugs you've done, leads, air  and fuel filter. You may need to run it on am oscilloscope to view the ignition patens, voltages and spark lines, this will check the operation of the coil and you can do a cylinder balance, best do a compression test first, just in case there is a valve issue. Check for vacuum leaks and have the exhaust analyzer inspection as well.

2CarPros-Archives