CLUTCH PEDAL NOISE IN 98

1998 Saturn SL2 • 90,000 miles

The clutch pedal arm it seems is making a terrible creaky/squeeky noise. The wife says it's always in the summer the hotter the worse it is. I tried squirting some motor oil on pivots and rod where it enters wall as best I could see, didn't do any/much good. The slower you push pedal, the more excruciating it becomes.
Fixitmr

Unless someone tells you different, there are three things you can look at. First check for any nylon bushings that are worn down or cracked off and possibly missing. The clue they're missing is some connection between two mechanical parts will have a lot of play when you wiggle the pedal by hand.

Next, a common source of that squeak is the return spring where it hooks around the attaching points. Those should be greased, and are usually overlooked. Something thick, like axle grease, works good for that but don't be too generous as it likes to travel and makes other parts messy.

Look at the connection between the push rod and pedal. If you can feel it creaking there when a helper pushes the pedal, that's the point to lube. In some designs it's hard to get the grease inside to coat the entire joint. Chrysler has a dandy product for that called "Spray White Lube" in a spray can. It is a lithium-based grease. It sprays on juicy so the liquid flows into the joint and takes the grease with it, then the liquid evaporates and leaves the grease behind.

If you find the push rod squawking where it slides in and out through a rubber boot or seal on the firewall, use Silicone Spray Lube on that. It goes on like water, then evaporates and leaves a film of "slippery" behind. Works real good in the tracks of sluggish power windows too. Chrysler also has that along with all other manufacturers, and you can buy it from auto parts stores.

Just to add to this one if it's just squeaking most of the ones I have seen were the seal around the rod that pushes into the clutch master cylinder haven't had much luck lubing them to keep them quite. The only thing I could do to stop the noise was replace the clutch slave/master cylinder assembly. If it's working good I would just try to lube it and replace it when it fails.

I just wanted to add that it has the sound of a dry/rusty car door hinge. But only when you push slow. Is supected a plastic bushing somwhere? The pedal does not feel loose sloppy and so far I cant feel the noise to locate it. I only had car home 5 min to check out. Tried squirting oil up onto parts. Will get another short crack at it on sunday. It's really hard to get at the darn thing to do anything.

Fixitmr
The only bushing that I can think of on that clutch pedal is right at the pivot point of the clutch pedal I have seen a couple of them fail when they do they get loose side to side play. Most of the squeaky ones like you describe like I said turned out to be that seal that rides on the shaft that goes into clutch master cylinder. It was only a noise no performance loss and the noise comes and goes.

I oiled the rod where it enters the seal and no change.I'm gonna hold onto the master itself and see if I can feel the noise on sunday. Maybe it's the master piston itself making the sound?

Fixitmr
The noise is usually in the clutch master cylinder somewhere.

That uses brake fluid right? I wonder if silicone brake fluid would help?

Fixitmr
There pre filled with brake fluid you never have to add brake fluid to them. If memory serves right they take dot 3 changing the fluid isn't going to stop the noise.

1 was reading that dot 5 fluid is thicker and more of a lubricant type fluid. Sales pitch I suppose? Also on some post on saturn forum someone said that manual says never use dot 5? I suppose they may be worried about mixing them rather than a complete changover.

Fixitmr
Well had my stab at it today and I can feel the noise in the master itself. It also tends to shift around when pedal is pushed. Is that thing made out of plastic of some kind?

Fixitmr
Page 1 of 2