SL2

1998 Saturn Astra • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 177,000 miles

I just purchased a 1998 saturn sl2. Oil is rising into the plugs. My mechanic friend removed the top and installed a new gasket and sealed the cover. We took it for a test drive and the oil is still rising to the top of the engine around the plugs. Any suggestions.
Edsel

Sounds like your technician is not doing it properly-See below

NOTE: Engines are assembled with black composite cam covers.

REMOVAL

Remove Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PVC) valve hose.

Remove cam cover fasteners.
Remove the cam cover assembly.
INSTALLATION

NOTE: Inspect the cam cover isolations for cracks. Replace the isolators if deterioration exist. Gaskets over one year old may take a set and should be replaced. Gaskets under one year old do not need replacement. A small drop of RTV must be installed at the two T-joints whenever the cam cover is installed.

Install new cam cover gaskets, if removed.
Install the cam cover assembly.
Install the PVC valve hose.

I took the car back to my mechanic and apparently the problem was the pcv valve. It was stopped up. I hope this is a permanent fix. Thanks for your answer as I was and still am uncertain. So far we drove it over 40 miles and no leak.

Edsel