SMOKING!!! PLEASE HELP

1998 Pontiac Transport

I am not sure what is going on with my van please HELP!

First started when I was driving I smelled to strong sweet odor. I pulled over, turned my van off and saw tons of coolant leaking under my van and the temp was at 210. I got it towed back to my place and had a mechanic come check it out. He checked it out and replaced the water pump but said I needed to get new radiator cap. I let the van sit overnight and this morning I replaced the cap. I drove it around the block and I noticed white smoke coming from under the hood. When I looked under the hood the smoke was around the radiator cap. I waited for it to cool down and took the cap off when I realized the fluid that was once there was no longer. I topped it off with coolant and let it run a little and it didn’t smoke and the temp was fine. I just drove it for no more than 10mins and it started smoking AGAIN, still not overheating.

Could it be I didn’t purchase the correct cap or is it the spilled coolant burning off or another issue?

Bbrwn123

I would check and make sure you didnt get a defective cap or the wrong cap.I would also make sure you get a stant cap they make good caps I have had issues with the cheaper caps in the past. If you still have problems were going to have to get a cooling system pressure tester. To pressure test the cooling system.

Thanks! I bought a better cap and thought all was fine until my van just stopped working. Took it to the shop and turns out the mechanic put the water pump on wrong!

Bbrwn123
Thats crazy I hope you went back and told the guy who you paid to put the water pump on that?Also glad to hear you got it fixed.

While at the shop the mechanics said my MAP sensor needed to be replaced. NOW they are telling me I need to replace my fuel regulator due to fuel going where is shouldn’t! He said this is something they couldn’t have known until after the MAP sensor was replaced! Are they trying to pull a fast one or could this be true? Also they are telling me they cannot give me a warranty on the MAP sensor if I do not get the fuel regulator replaced because that can cause it to go bad any day!

Bbrwn123
So did it run fine before the map sensor was replaced?Iam trying to figure out why they replaced the map sensor last I heard they replaced the water pump because it was miss installed. Also never heard of a fuel pressure regulator taking out a map sensor. If the pressure regulator was putting fuel where it wasnt supposed to that should effect the way it runs. Also how did they find a bad map sensor?A code and they diagnosed it?You never mentiined it was running bad.

After I replaced the cap and went to drive my van (no more than an hour later) it started up but would cut right back off. I had it towed to a shop where they told me the previous mechanic put the water pump in wrong. They kept my van overnight and did a coolant pressure test and the dye head gasket test (passed both). At that time the mechanic noticed a hole in one of the vacuum "tubes" and that the MAP sensor nipple was broken; I am not sure if this was through a code or not. I gave them the go ahead to fix them and now they are telling me the fuel regulator is "putting fuel where it should not go".

Bbrwn123
This one is hard to weed out two different people working on it. Then it starts running bad there is a bad map sensor which would cause it to run bad from the moment that nipple on the sensor broke. Then there just happens to be a fuel pressure regulator putting fuel where it shouldnt?Is this inside the intake manifold or outside the intake manifold?

There is only one nipple on the map sensor and it inserts into the intake manifold so you would have to remove the map sensor to see it. That style fuel pressure regulator usually leaks externally or leaks fuel into the vaccuum nipple attached to it. How much do they want to replace the fuel pressure regulator?There really easy to change and can be gotten pretty reasonable.

I was told that it is on the top right next to the throttle body and that the diaphragm is leaking forcing fuel into the vacuum. I am not sure if this is the answer to your question.

Bbrwn123
They are charging $550 all together. $215.24 is for the fuel pressure regulator(parts and labor). They will not allow me to purchase the part and bring it in!

Bbrwn123