MY IS OVERHEATING, HOW DO I FIX ?

1998 Pontiac Transport • 102,000 miles

I have already replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap. The water pump is circulating water but it is still red lining. I hear a hissing coming from the side of the motor that the thermostat is on, but it sounds like it is further in, closer to the firewall. I don't see any steam and I don't see any water dripping from underneath. What could it be?
Tobarq1

You sure the thermostat is installed correctly-if so bleed the cooling system if it continues block and pressure test the system

Thanks for your reply. And yes the thermostat is installed correctly. I have bled the cooling system. However I have not pressure tested it. I don't have a way to do that. The hissing sound is coming from the backside of the motor and it looked like the shift linkage on the tranny was wet. I could not see well enough to pinpoint the location. Is there a pressure release in the block in that location? Or might it be the rear head gasket?

Tobarq1
You can rent a cooling system pressure tester. Could be from a leaky intake manifold, cylinder head or a feeze plug

How would I, other than a pressure test, pinpoint which of the 3 it is?

Tobarq1
Get a block chek-a chemical tester that changes color if there's a combustion leak into the cooling system-check at autozone