FUEL PUMP

1998 Pontiac Firebird • 120,000 miles

I replaced the fuel pump on my sons 98 Firebird. It started up several times ran good. The next day it won start. I noticed some wires on the sending unit had the covering cracked an exposed so I ordered the entire fuel pump assembly. It started up several times ran good, THE NEXT MORNING IT WONT START AGAIN. PLEASE HELP THIS IS SO VERY FRUSTRATING!
Bigfish88

Verify the fuel pressure is within specs with a use of a fuel pressure tester-Start here -let me know

But I have no fuel pressure now. I dont want to spend another $150 bucks on another pump and have it fail again.

Bigfish88
Do you hear the fuel pump for a few secs when you turn the ignition On?

I did when I first installed both the pumps. After it sat over night there is nothing.I diconnected the fuel filter and turned it over and nothing.

Bigfish88
Power the fuel pump direct from the battery and see if it comes on and produce the correct fuel pressure if so check/test the fuel pump relay and oil pressure sending unit-

It works when I 1st install though then when it sits I get nothing. It is getting power to the pump. For some reason pump keeps burning up after it sits for awhile.

Bigfish88
If the fuel pump is getting power there's should be pressure available

If its burning up as it sits, wiring issue causing it-I recommend have it fur therchecked by a professional

Thanks. The car sat for about 2 years. I just cant understand y I put a new pump in and it starts and runs fine and then I let it sit over night and I have nothing. Very frustrating I have spent $400 now.

Bigfish88
Check/Test the fuel pump relay and the computer controlled of the fuel pump relay circuit-

How old is the gas in the tank? And ate we shore of the quality of the fuel. Make shore there is fresh clean gas in the car. Not old fuel or something els gumming up the pump

Djcl