MERCURY SABLE SENSOR PROBLEM

1998 Mercury Sable • 100,000 miles

This is my daughters car. She had a computer hooked up and said camshaft sensor. It will just cut off and sometimes crank right back up. Sometimes it don't. Sensor is only 23 bucks. I can do ok under the hood. Is this something that is fairly easy. Or is it hard to get to this sensor.
Broke down in Monroe, La.

First you have to tell us which engine we're working on. Size and single or dual camshafts. They are different. Next, you must understand that fault codes never say to replace parts. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. In this case it more likely than the typical 50 percent chance the sensor itself is the cause of the problem. Camshaft position sensors and crankshaft position sensors commonly fail by becoming heat-sensitive, and they will work again once they cool down. Your cam sensor isn't very expensive; still, you should check the wiring first to be sure no terminals in the connectors are spread or corroded and no wires are cut.