98 ENGINE QUIT AT 45MPH/CAN RESTART 2HRS LATER?

1998 Mercury Sable • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 49,600 miles

98 Sable. 49K miles. Duratec OHC eng. No problems till now.
Engine quit running while driving at 45 mph. No noise, burps, chokes. Just suddenly aware not running. Put in Neutral + keyed-no start-turning over. Coasted to stop. Check gas cap. Ok--check reset button on pump. Ok--battery. Ok Did not start for 2 hours. Battery 3years and ok. 1/3 tank fuel. Has run perfectly since (1 hours/3 trips) that episode. .
650BSA

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. YES. TAKE IT TO A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE, THEY WILL USUALLY GET YOUR CODES FOR FREE---MIGHT EVEN GIVE YOU FIX SUGGESTIONS--REGARDLESS, WRITE 'EM DOWN, GIVE 'EM TO US TOO

I MAY NOT BE YOUR FIX, BUT OTHERS WHO UNDERSTAND THIS NEW STUFF, MAY JUMP IN AND ASSIST.

I'M MORE OF AN OLD JEEP OLD FORD BUFF. BUT I DO READ A LOT COMING THRU HERE!

WITHOUT FURTHER TESTING, IF I HAD TO ATTEMPT TO THROW A PART AT IT, SOLELY BASED, ON WHAT YOU HAVE GIVEN THUS FAR.

I'D GUESS THE "CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR"---IT SEEMS TO BE A COMMON THING TO GO OUT, ON SOME VEHICLES

IF EZiLY ACCESSED, JUST ONE FASTENER HOLDS MOST OF 'EM IN PLACE. USUALLY A "CORRECT SPICING DEVICE" IS ON 'EM (PAPER OR PLASTIC) SHOULD REMAIN ON DURING INSTALLATION. PARTS STORE FELLERS CAN PROBABLY TELL YOU. AROUND HERE, THEY MIGHT EVEN STICK IT ON FOR YOU.$24 PART. INSTALL FREE. YOUR SMILE. PRICELESS!

LIKE I SAID, SORTA JUST A QUICK, SHOT IN THE DARK. IF NOTHING ELSE, $24 IN YOUR GLOVE BOX, AND A WRENCH. ROADSIDE SWAP. EITHER IT WORKS, OR YOU NOW HAVE A SPARE, AND A NEW, PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE PART. MIGHT OUT WEIGH A TOW BILL

HANG AROUND A WHILE, MAYBE ANOTHER OPINION WILL SURFACE

SURF OUR SITE

Hi CJ Medevac,
Thanks a lot for this quick response. When my engine is off but the key is "keyed" (on). The check eng. Light is lit up along with some others but when the engine starts they all dis-engage from luminous. Not sure what the 'crank shaft position-er' is. Or where it is located but am looking for a shop manual site so as to get more familiar with the new info folks are so kindly giving to me. I'll go to the auto store ( for sure ) tomorrow and see what comes up.
The car has runs perfectly since that singular event (about 20 miles in 3 trips) but am as nervous as I can get as I have a must do --- 400 mile - get there on time or : ( else. In 3 weeks from today. So again, Thank you. 650 BSA

650BSA
Hey CJ,
Just followed your "link". WOW. Thank you again. Looks like you put me on the right trail. Very impressed and got to say it again. Thanks.
650BSA

650BSA
Boy Scouts?

The Medic

If you ever have any question. About anything!

This has helped me on a bunch of problems!

Too bad, it wasn't around in '81, when I blasted into Adultness!

The Medic

Thanks CJ,

BTW : BSA : Boy Scouts?. No
**British Side Arms** : an English weapons and motor vehicle manufacturer.
Amongst the products, they made the BSA motorcycle. They
went out of business in 1972. I bought my "thunderbolt" in
68. New for @ $1208.00 U.S. And I still have it!. And it still roars up . On first kick! . Yeh, turns heads today . To see an 'olde guy' do the 'kick start'. Tee-hee
. Mean time . Thank you again. Following your
helpful links and. Feels like I'm not too old to learn some new "tricks".
650BSA

650BSA
Roger on BSA

My Favorite Company, just kept being passed around, over the years ('46 Willys and '77 Jeep CJ5)

The Medic

Good Morning!
I checked with AutoZone and two 'trusted' mechanic (referrals by neighbors).
AutoZ says they don't do extensive diagnostics. Could check out 'check eng. Light' -- if it were on + engine running.
Mechanics (both) say without a "check engine light" on while running,
there will be NO CODES or info to guide them. They say the
Sable would need to be disabled again and they would need to
check it over then. In addition, one said the older cars do not have extended memory storage of "events" . As can be found in newer 'improved diagnostic computers' of today's autos.
He also said the fuel filter would be his #1 as it should be a regular maintenance renewal item (@30K miles--49.5K now with original). And CSP a good candidate too. Further, he said. It is hit / or miss / and so on with problems where the " component fails under stress " and apparently "re-sets after
a cool down or rest period."

Found the filter under the right rear door. Looks very simple to replace.
Can't find the. Crankshaft-Position-Sensor? Watched the video
and checked around starter but the old eyes aren't seeing it?
Will start a new search for videos after this post.
Check back here later. Thanks . 650BSA

650BSA
I MAY CAN FIND YOU A "C.P." DIAGRAM. GIVE ME A FEW-MANY MINUTES!

I'M NOT A PAID MECHANIC EITHER--JUST MY OWN, THRU NECESSITY!

I FIGURED, AT MINIMUM, IF YOU WERE SKEPTICAL

YOU MIGHT KEEP THE SOMEWHAT INEXPENSIVE PART HANDY, AND COULD MAYBE CHANGE IT "DURING" FAILURE. HAVE THE CORRECT NEEDED TOOLS ON HAND!

YOU KINDA ALREADY KNOW IT TAKES A WHILE TO COOL DOWN THEN CRANK UP,

SO SLAP IT ON QUICKLY, AND SEE IF IT WILL FIRE UP!

IT'S REALLY SIMPLE, IF IN THE WAY "CRAP", IS MINIMAL

BEATS A "HIGH DOLLAR" TOWING BILL, AND POSSIBLY "INCONCLUSIVE TESTING", WHEN IT IS NOW COOL, AND NOW AT A SHOP!

BACK SOON, I HOPE WITH YOUR DIAGRAM!

MAYBE DID'NT FILL IN ALL THE STUFF WHEN YOU GOT HERE?

SABLE."GL" OR "LS"?

3.0.3 OPTIONS?

NO PROBLEM FOR CJ MEDEVAC. HE IS THE MAN!

DUE TO THE LACK OF INFO--GOT ALL 3 DIAGRAMS

1ST IS 3.0L FFV

2ND IS GS 3.0L 4V

3RD IS GS 3.0L 2V

SURELY COMPARING YOUR OTHER ENGINE STUFF, WILL GET YOU ON THE CORRECT DIAGRAM!

BY THE WAY. YOU OWE ME LUNCH!