"COOLANT SENSOR IS BAD" LIGHT

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 140,000 miles

Sensor light goes on when starting stays for 5 min, then goes out, only to come on and off continuously. All fluids are full. Driving is fine, no noise or any issues.

Friends had their sensor replaced 3x theirs is a 1996 JGC at the Jeep dealer they said that it is an issue with the computer and not to bother bringing it back in?

Any help? I am a senior who is disabled and living on 1000 per month, repeat visits to the dealership is not in my tight budget, thank you !
VicJones

What engine do you have? Is the coolant sensor a symbol of a radiator? Can you elaborate more on the sensor light what color is it what it looks like so I can assist you better, TY

Ty Anderson
5.9 engine Grand LTD The picture of the jeep on the console has the "Coolant is Bad" the square light engine light? Sometimes comes on and sometimes not. Sometimes it comes on at the same time as the reading and sometimes not. No fluids are leaking. Again my friends have same light repaired 3 x iin older model that has a different motor before the dealership told them to drive with it on, they have had this light for 3 yrs without any other problems.

Hope this helps

VicJones
Warning systems are installed for a reason and not to be ignored simply because a technician can't figure out how to fix them.

The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.

Wrenchtech