1998 Honda Civic Repair Question
Honda Civic Distributor Problem
Civic, CR V, Oasis & Odyssey
1. Start engine and ensure idle speed is correct. See IDLE SPEED. Run engine at 3000 RPM with no electrical loads (headlights, blower motor, rear defogger, A/C and cooling fan off) and transmission in Park or
Neutral. When radiator cooling fan comes on, allow engine to idle.
2. Remove connector cap and connect remote tachometer to 2 pin tachometer test connector. On CR V, tachometer test connector is located in left rear corner of engine compartment. On Civic, Oasis and
Odyssey, tachometer test connector is located in right side of engine compartment.
3. Connect SCS Service Connector (07PAZ 0010100 ) to 2 pin service check connector. On Civic, 2 pin service check connector is located under right side of instrument panel. See Fig. 6. On CR V, Oasis and
Odyssey 2 pin service check connector is located under instrument panel, on right side of center console. See Fig. 7. Service check connector on Civic and CR V uses a Brown wire and a Black wire. Service
check connector on Oasis and Odyssey uses a Brown/Black wire and a Red wire.
4. Connect timing light to No. 1 spark plug wire. Check base ignition timing at specified engine idle. See IGNITION TIMING (Degrees BTDC RED MARK @ RPM). Red mark indicates degrees BTDC.
White mark indicates No. 1 cylinder Top Dead Center (TDC). See Fig. 8 or Fig. 10 .
5. If timing is not as specified, loosen distributor hold down bolts and rotate distributor to adjust timing. Rotate distributor counterclockwise to advance timing and clockwise to retard timing. Recheck timing after
tightening distributor hold down bolts.
6. On Civic, Oasis and Odyssey, tighten distributor hold down bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18 N.m). On CR V, tighten distributor hold down bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 N.m). Remove timing light, tachometer and SCS service
17,879 answers provided