CAR CRANKS BUT NO SPARK

1998 Honda Civic • 147,000 miles

It is getting gas
Austinmartin

Check the distributor, especially the ignition coil. Ensure you don't have a failed timing belt.

I dont have power to the distributor

Austinmartin
The Black/Yellow wire receives battery voltage direct from ignition switch and is power supply is missing, you are not going to get any sparks. It could be a faulty ignition switch or a break in the circuit.

Turn ignition switch on and note if the dash warning lights are all working. Turn key slowly to start and note if the lights go out all at once. If engine starts or tries to start and stalls when key is released to return to run position, you have a bad ignition switch.

I have no power to the black and yellow wire. And all the lights stay on.

Austinmartin
Attach a fuse 10 A wire to the Black/Yellow wire adn connect to a power supply source and try starting. If it works, you need to trace the break between ignition switch and distributor.

And if it dosent work?

Austinmartin
That most probably means you have given me the wrong or missing information.

You mentioned no power to it so it should work even if it is a fault with the wire harness or ignition switch.

Okay I will try it how will I know if its the ignition switch?

Austinmartin
You would need to test it. With ignition switch turned on and while cranking, the Black/Yellow wire MUST have battery voltage.
You need to remove the steering column cover to get at the wires.

It worked I am going to work on it some more tonight. Thanks for the help.

Austinmartin