HEATER QUESTION

1998 GMC Yukon • V8 4WD Automatic • 187,000 miles

I drive a 1998 GMC Yukon. The front heater stopped blowing out air. (You can feel the warmth or cold seeping out, just not blowing) I assumed it was just the blower motor but, my stereo started acting up as well. The stereo seems to work but, the speakers cut in and out, sometimes I can go an entire car ride without them coming on. The lights on the stereo (it is a stock system) are half out and the lights for the heater dials (right below the stereo) do not work. If I smack the dash a bunch sometimes they'll come on.

Is the heater not blowing the blower motor or can something electrical be going on?
StphnHrrll

Check for power to the motor. Check the blower resistor as well.

From what I've read, the blower resistor would mean that the vents only blow on high? I read on another site where someone had this issue and it was a bad fuse inside their stereo. Is that something that can affect the whole dashboard?

StphnHrrll
No, not the stereo fuse.

The blower resistor can totally fail or fail on just one or more modes. It needs to be checked with a voltmeter to confirm.