STARTER

1998 Dodge Neon • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

Car does not crank over unless I hook jumper cables from the battery to the starter and cross th wire from the plugin on the solenoid to the hot wire on the starter
Aarongue42

Alright do you have a multimeter to trace power?

If you hear a single kind of loud clunk from the starter each time you turn the ignition switch to "crank", worn solenoid contacts are real common on the little silver Nippendenso starters. They can be replaced for 20 bucks but most people just replace the entire starter. They always start off being intermittent. It will crank if you cycle the ignition switch from "run" to "crank" enough times.

If you don't hear that clunk and there is no click from the starter relay, suspect the neutral safety switch although that isn't real common. The entire system can be split into four circuits and each one can be tested from the starter relay socket. You'll need a test light or digital voltmeter.

Hi saturntech9. I'll watch from the sidelines in case you need me.

Thanks caradiodoc I call you for back up if I need it.