THE REAR BRAKE LIGHTS DO NOT COME ON WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED WHY IS THIS?

1998 Chevrolet Malibu • 200,000 miles

I have checked all the fuses and checked all the bulbs. All of the rear lighting works except for the 2 rear brake lights. Even the third brake light in the rear window works. All turn signals, reverse lights and normal rear lights work. I have read that this problem can be because of a bad circuit board by the light sockets but since all the other lights work is this the case? I have already read that the brake line wires come from the brake switch and go through the turn signal switch and to replace that and since the rear window brake bypasses the turn signal switch it still works. Is this the likely cause?

Thanks for your help,

Josh
Scripnick

Yup. The center high-mount light doesn't go through the signal switch but the two rear lights do. Before you replace the multifunction switch, check the connections and be sure the terminals aren't stretched or overheated. Overheating isn't common on those because the circuit is never turned on for long periods of time like a head light circuits, but to have both sides fail at the same time, a loose connection would be suspect.

If the high mount stop lights are working, it would be a straight forward problem. They are linked together and since both lights are not working, it can only mean you have an open circuit somewhere between the splice pack (under right front seat) to the light bulb sockets or a fault with the bulb or socket.

Do you have any test light or DVOM to test power source?

Sorry, I don't see the circuit going through light switches, am I getting the wrong information from our database?

So I see the connection running from the front left fuse panel into the brake switch and then from there into the splice pack. From there it goes to the high mount light and that one works which confirms that the brake switch and connections leading up to the splice pack are fine correct?

From there I see it running into the front and left rear light assemblies. I also see connections that run from the turn headlamp and wiper switch that also connect into the right wiring junction block which ultimatly ends up connecting to the right and left rear light assemblies. I think there may be a problem somewhere between there?

Also, since I will be buying a new car sometime next year and do not want to put money into this one. Is there a way to mickey mouse this situation? I don't care if the stop light works at the same time as my turn signal. Do you think it is possible to run wire from the splice pack directly to the rear light circuit? Or what would be the best option?

Thank you guys so much I appreciate this.

Josh

Scripnick
And yes I have a test light so where would be the best place to connect it to help me solve this issue?

Josh

Scripnick
The brake switch definitely is not bad if the high mount light works.

At the brake bulb, probe the Light Blue wire and ground the other end of test light to ground, get someone to depress the brake pedal and if test light lights up, it means the power supply is good.

If you have power supply, probe the Black wire and if test light does not light up, you have a faulty buld or socket or the bulb is not seated correctly.