CHEVROLET CAVALIER FUSE PROBLEM

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier • 72,500 miles

There is a constant drain on the battery, about 300 ma. Now after the car sets for a week without beimg started the battery is dead. The clock in the radio is on all the time and I don't remember that being on after the ignition was turned off.
I can remove the "INT LAMP" fuse and I hear a relay in or on the multifunction module open and the clock goes out, if I remove the radio fuse it has no effect on the clock. Is the module bad or am I looking in the wrong area?
Wa5vjy

SEE IF THIS HELPS YOU

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1989-ford-tempo-98-tempo-bran-new-battery-shut-car-off-didn-t-days-now

RETURN WITH GOOD NEWS

I have already done everything sugested in the youtube film clips. I am down to one fuse now and that one is the "interior lamp" 10 amp fuse. There is a module under the dash up high on the right hand side, some refer to it as the alarm module and others call it a multifunction module.
There is a relay in or on that module that I can hear and feel open and close when I remove and replace the fuse. I think the relay should open when the ignition switch is in the OFF position and the clock display should be off and the current draw should go down to 50 ma or less and it doesn't. What is keeping the relay energized and the clock display on with the ignition off.
Is the module the problem or is it something external to the module? Where is the voltage comming from that keeps the relay energized?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Wa5vjy
I would contribute more but I don't see a place to do that now.
John

Wa5vjy
MAYBE THE RELAY IS STUCK?

THUMP THAT PUPPY!!!

SWAP IT WITH AN EXACT TWIN----JUST FOR A TEST--REPLACE IT SHOULD THE SWAP FIX YOU

I'VE BEEN HERE SINCE 'O9---THIS IS THE 2ND TIME THEY HAVE "REVAMPED/REMODELED" (OCT 17)---I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FIGGERING HOW TO GET AROUND IN HERE (ONCE AGAIN) MYSELF!!!!

I DO BEST IN THIS (CJ 7) AND THE CJ 5 FORUMS......THEY SELDOM BREAK....SO I TEND TO WONDER TO THE OTHER FORUMS!......SEE ME IN ACTION ON THEM "MEGA POSTS" (SOME OVER 100 RESPONSES).....IF YOU HAD A CJ, WE'D BE FIXED BY NOW!

http://www.2carpros.com/makes/jeep

AFTER YOU RESPOND AGAIN---I'LL GO LOOK FOR ANOTHER FELLER WHO MIGHT BE MORE UP ON YOUR SITUATION--AND GET HIM ON BOARD

"WANDER"---NOT "WONDER"!

OK, see if anyone else is able to read my previous post and come up with anything.

I would swap the module out if I had one, but I don't.I can hear the relay click so it isn't stuck.

I will have to remove the whole dashboard to get to the module, fun, fun, fun.

John

Wa5vjy
EVER TOOK RELAYS APART?

(ON SOME RELAY DESIGNS I'VE SEEN, THE ELECTROMAGNET YANKS ON THE MECHANICAL STUFF AND MAKES A CLICKTHE ACTUAL CONTACTS COULD STILL BE SORTA WELDED TOGETHER. IT'S NOT NECESSARILY THE CONTACTS "SLAPPING TOGETHER", THAT MAKES THE SOUND!

I WILL GO LEAVE MESSAGES WITH 2 OTHERS TO LOOK AT THIS----BE PATIENT!

Thanks, I'll be patient.

John

Wa5vjy
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED W/ MESSAGES IN THEIR MAILBOXES---LET'S SEE IF THEY SHOW NOW!

THIS KINDA STUFF HAS BEEN STUCK IN MY HEAD SINCE MAYBE 2-3 YEARS AFTER 1963.I HAVEN'T SHOOK IT YET!

Sorry for the delay in joining in. Was away for a few days.

The problem is related to the multifunction alarm module and this module runs on constant power all the time so it is highly likely that it is faulty internally. You would have to take the module out to check/test/repair or replace.

From the symptoms, I believe a capacitor inside the module is bad causing the relay to be constantly turned on.

The control unit is in the convenience center and instructions does not indicate that dash removal is required.

Are warning chimes etc all working correctly?

Page 1 of 5