HOW AND WHERE TO CHANGE THE CABIN AIR FILTER, OR AIR CONDITIONER FILTER

1997 Toyota Prado • 12,000 miles

Its the filter for the air contitioner, because only a small amount of air is reaching the end.
Marcorod

We don't have the references for this vehicle- try checking the air blend door-

Where is the air blend door that situated. Can you tell me where is it located?

Marcorod
Its a 1997 Land Cruiser Prado GX1

Marcorod
There's no pic indicating the exact location-sorry

Cabin filters are common only for 2k years onwards and most probably there is none installed in your vehicle.

The most likely cause of clogging would be the evaporator fins. Try using compressed air to blow from the blower motor end. Removing the blower motor would give you more room.

Thanks for the help, I suspected that it wouldn't have one. Please let me know if its safe to clean out the evaporator by my self as I do have some mechanical and elctrical knowlaedge on cars.

Marcorod
It is ok as you are not going to discharge the A/C freon. If you are able to get a cleaner that can be sprayed onto the evaporator fins to dissolve the dirt, that would be good. Compressed air is a must if you want to do a good job.

Open all doors while doing the job for ventilation as dust would be flying around.

Another way is to spray cleaner onto the evaporator core where the fins are and allow to dissolve for a few minutes. Use a garden hose with a little pressure and low volume to flush the fins and wash away the cleaner as well. Ensure the evaporator discharge hose is not clogged and it would flood the cabin if it is.

Note : Do not use any cleaner that are too acidic as it can damage the evaporator core.