JUST STARTED, PUT CAR IN PARK AND A NOISE SIMILAR TO A HELICOPTER CAME FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT

1997 Oldsmobile Delta 88 • 70,000 miles

This noise has just started, as I got home and put the car in park so that I
could opne the gate, a whirling noise could be heard. As I stepped out the
vehicle, I acutually looked up because it sounded like a low flying helicopter.

The noise can only be heard in park and is coming from the engine compartment. Not sure but it seems to be coming from the top near the fuel
injection area. I also noted that neither of the 2 electric radiators were on.

I was able to put the car in drive and drove down the driveway, but I park the whirling noise can be heard.

Where and what do I troubleshoot?

Thank you
Pursur

Check to make sure the serp belt isn't coming apart. Remove the belt and check all belt driven accessories for bearing problems.

Thanks for replying jacobandnickolas but that is not the problem as all of that check out fine.
I do believe that the problem is in my transmission.
My oil is black, it only happens in park not in drive, and I found that my emergency brake was engaged, now I will also have to check out my rear brakes too. Those dang grandkids sometimes have no idea what they are doing.
Currently, I am draining the transmission oil and will pull the pan to see what is happening enternally.
Any other suggestions?

Pursur
If the trans fluid is black, I'm concerned that there may be damage in the front pump or the torque converter. Let me know if you find metal shavings in the trans pan.

The park brake sounds like something my wife would do. I hope it didn't damage anything.

Let me know what you find.

Yep, pulled the pan and have metal shavings.

Pursur
At this point, if servicing the trans doesn't help, I think you need to have it checked by a trans mechanic. Many times the problem can be identified by driving the vehicle and listening to the noise it makes. I wish I had a better answer, but that is the bottom line. For me, being here and not with the car, it now becomes a guessing game which I would rather not do. It still could be something simple.

I can definitely appreciate that very honest answer about not being with the car becomes a guessing game. I had already order a new transmission yesterday afternoon because I do not have time for my own guessing games and need the vechile up ASAP.
Once I get the newer one back in/up and running, I can either choose to rebuild the older one and keep for a spare or return for a core charge, I will only know when I get there with my eyeballs on it and weigh the cost of rebuild for a spare.

If you do not mind, I will keep this open for when I get into the transmission, which should be in during the week, and I really get into the job.

Pursur
That is fine. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Pursur
I was just thinking so I wanted to ask your opinion; there was no problems or noises coming from the transmission prior to the first initial noise that I reported, the car traveled no more 600'
The metal shavings are fine, no big pieces, is it possible to do a transmission flush, replace oil and filter and it still be okay.
I had no problems driving it up the ramps, as I said except for the noise sounding like a low flying helicopter, it does it's job of shifting with no problems

Pursur
It couldn't hurt. If it was mine, I would try it, but I hate to say to do it and only have you waste your money.

If the metal shavings were small and not too many, that could be considered normal. I've serviced many that were like that and they were fine. Brass, aluminum. Cause it.

Page 1 of 2