WATER PUMP

1997 Nissan Sentra • 4 cylinder 2WD •

How do I remove and replace a water pump for a 1997 nissan sentra?
Paul Murphree

REMOVAL

1. Drain coolant from radiator and cylinder block.
2. Remove cylinder head front mounting bracket.
3. Loosen water pump pulley bolts.
4. Remove drive belts for power steering pump.
5. Remove water pump pulley.

NOTE: * When removing water pump assembly, be careful not to get coolant on drive belt.
* Water pump cannot be disassembled and should be replaced as a unit.

6. Remove coolant hoses from water inlet and thermostat housing.

7. Remove water pump bolts.
8. Remove water pump with thermostat housing.

INSTALLATION

1. Use a scraper to remove liquid gasket from water pump. Also, remove traces of liquid gasket from mating surface of cylinder block.

2. Apply a continuous 2.0 - 3.0 mm (0.079 - 0.118 inch) thick bead of liquid gasket to mating surface of water pump. Use Genuine Liquid Gasket, or equivalent.
3. Reverse removal procedure and fill radiator with coolant and install drive belts.

NOTE: * Be careful not to spill coolant over engine compartment. Use a rag to absorb excess coolant.
* After installing water pump, connect hoses and clamps securely, then check for leaks using radiator cap tester.

Thank you for the quick response! What's the best way to acces the water pump when the engine is still in the car?

Paul Murphree
The instruction's I posted are to replace the water pump with the engine in the car. So that is the way you do it.

I can understand why you are asking the question of how to do it with engine in vehicle. Space is very tight and if you remove the the engine mount at timing chain end and use a floor jack to lift the engine slightly, you can gain some additional working space.

I never like to work on the water pump for this engine. You need Rubberman of the Fantastic 4 to perform the job.

Thank you very much! That's the information that I needed.

Paul Murphree
You're welcome.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for the assist KHLow2008 hope you had a great new year's.

You're welcome. Sure had a great start to the year.

Hope you had a great one too.