THERMOSTAT STUCK OPEN

1997 Jaguar XK8 • V8 2WD Automatic • 81,000 miles

Car in red, overheating after a few minutes drive, check engine light on, no leaking coolant levels,
just brought car drove 170 miles and told to top up coolant by the seller as had just replaced every thing in all the fluids. Done this after low coolant message on the dashboard came up. Since then (check engine light), and now overheating after about 5 minutes driving. Please tell me how to put this right?
Ricky813

After topping up the coolant, did the level drop?

When temperature gauge shows high reading, are both radiator hoses hot or only the upper is hot while the lower is much colder?

Btw, get a scan done to retrieve the trouble code and let me know what it is. I need the EXACT code, not the description.

Code reader check done, and comes up with no codes, check engine light still on, but goes off when I start the engine. Top hose very hot, same problem overheating, no leaks in coolant. Level no problem, and no more low coolant level on dash readout,
all fans come on as they always have but engine still gets very hot. After I stop and get out of the car fans still run for about 30 seconds very loud, any ideas?

Ricky813
If the lower hose is not hot, the thermostat is most probably stuck closed. If lower hose is hot as well, the coolant has insufficient flow or the radiator could be partially clogged.