MY WON'T REV OVER 3500 RPM! THE CEL IS ON! HOW DO I FIX THIS?

1997 Honda Accord • 117 miles

A year ago my car got this problem that it won't rev above 3500 rpm. When I try it feels like it hits the rev limiter. The Check Engine Light has been on ever since this happened. The code it gives is "DTC - 4 errors with CKP sensor". I've been told this has something to do with the distributor. But after replacing it twice the problem is still there.
This is driving me nuts! Please help me!
Orjan93

The code is for the Crankshaft Position Snesor and it is causing timing issues. In Hondas it is located in the distributor and can be replaced fairly easily.

If you are trying to rev it up in park or neutral, then it IS the rev limiter preventing it from going over 3500. It's supposed to do that.

Wrenchtech
This happens when I'm driving the car regardless of speed or gear.

I've heard that the location of the CKP sensor is based on whether the vehicle is OBD-I or II. This one is OBD-I as it's not made in the USA, but the UK.

Orjan93
Which engine do you have?

Some trouble codes would result in the engine going into limp mode and this would not allow you to rev it more than 3500. Getting the problem resolved would allow you to rev to the red line.

Trouble codes does not necessarily mean a component is at fault. If you have a broken wire or bad connection along the circuit, it would show the code as well. What you need to do is to perform test to find out what is wrong. If codes tells you to replace components and that is all that needs to be done, guess we would have nothing much to do over here.

My engine is a 2.2l SOHC VTEC from 1997. You mentioned limp mode, I'm almost certain this is the case here.

In my case, which wires or connections do I have to check? And how do I know if they need to be fixed?

Orjan93
The sensor is at the timing belt side and not in the distributor.

A code 4 can mean P0335 or P0336 therefore an OBD-II code would be more accurate.

Here are the diagnostic procedures.

DTC P0335, P0336, P1361 & P1362: CKP/TDC SENSOR

1. Perform PCM reset procedure. Start engine. If DTC P0335, P0336, P1361 and/or P1362 are indicated, go to next step. If specified DTCs are not indicated, problem is intermittent, system is okay at this time. Check for poor connections or loose wires between CKP/TDC sensor connector and PCM connector. The sensor is at lower part of engine so is prone to contaminations. Repair as necessary.

2. Turn ignition off. Disconnect CKP/TDC sensor 4-pin connector. Measure resistance between CKP/TDC sensor terminals. If resistance between sensor connector terminals is 1850-2450 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is not as specified, replace CKP/TDC sensor.

3. Check for continuity between ground and each CKP/TDC sensor terminal. If continuity does not exist, go to next step. If continuity exists, replace CKP/TDC sensor.

Guess this is all you need for now.

How do I perform a PCM reset?

You say I need to disconnect the 4-pin connector to the CKP/TDC. Where is this connector located?

Orjan93
At timing belt area, it is not far from the sensors.

I had a look at the engine just now, but I could not find any sign of a connector or even a wire sticking out from the lower timing cover. I looked from the top of the engine and down on the timing cover.

Orjan93
How many wires and connectors do you have at the distributor?

Did you check the right side of the timing belt cover?