CLICKING

1997 Ford F-150 • V8 4WD Automatic • 169,000 miles

I have a 97 Ford F150. Went out to start my truck but got a sudden clicking noise but the truck wont start. We checked the cam sensor and the crack sensor. Still no luck so we checked the spark plugs and still wasnt getting no fire. But the truck recently had a anti theft system. We think that the truck still thinks that the truck is stolen and wont allow the computer to tell the spark plugs to fire. Please help we have tried everything we can think of.
Draco2320

A rapid clicking noise? So the truck wont even crank? What condition is the battery in? A rapid clicking noise and no crank leads me to believe the battery could be an issue.

PROTECH1980
We just bought a brand new battery and put it in and still the same clicking noise. We are still out of ideas. Help.

Draco2320
You have a bad wire or connection. You need to check the voltage at the seloniod and the starter. If ok the starter selonoid is bad

Cadieman
A simple test of the starter solenoid is to jumper the two large solenoid posts. These solenoids are known to have issues. Double check both ends of the battery cables for proper connection. This could also cause clicking concerns.

The Ford man
Everything is getting voltage excepted the coil parks to tell the spark plugs to fire. And the ecm is good to so we dont know what the problem is. We still think its the anti theft system that was installed in the truck and then removed cuz the trucks computer wont tell the coil packs to fire. We checked for a relay under the dash and still no luck.

Draco2320
Let's back up. Is the vehicle's engine cranking over properly, but will not start (crank/ no start)? Is the anti-theft system you refer to the factory system or an add-on? If the factory system is engaged, the theft light in the dash will flash rapidly. A faulty crank position sensor will cause the coil packs not to fire. The ECM needs the input to determine when to fire.

The Ford man
Well we just pulled the PCM out of the truck and got a new one on order and see if that is going to be the problem. Thanks for all yall support and if I have any more questions I will ask. Thanks again.

Draco2320
Youll need a multimeter. Start checking your voltage at the starter a rapid clicking noise is a bad seloniod or wire connection or a low battery. Charge the battery. Then check for voltage and start signal at starter.

Cadieman