ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS

1997 Ford F-150 • 56,300 miles

MY alternator went out last night while driving. I replaced alternator this morning just for the voltage regulator to blow in it again. So I exchanged for another one and it blew again. Third time I bought new batter and another alternator checked all wires fuses and still same thing again blew the voltage regulator any ideas
Burnitdown1172

Have you checked for shorts in the wiring?

Yes I have no skinned wires and cant find any shorts not sure where to look

Burnitdown1172
Are you sure the regulator is the problem?

Took all three alternators off and had them tested at advanced discount auto and each time they tell me the regulator is fried. I thought about bypassing the ignition wire straight to the battery to see if maybe its just not receiving power through the ignition. Its getting very aggravating considering its my only vehicle

Burnitdown1172
When I unplug the alternator the battery light goes off as soon as I plug it in the light comes right back on and truck dies if you take cable off the battery

Burnitdown1172
When you pick up the next one, make sure they test it for you first to make sure it's good.

Make sure you're hooking it up correctly.

Check the fusible link and main Maxi-Fuses in the underhood junction box.

Rivermikerat