I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY 4 WHEEL DRIVE ENGAGING AND DISENGAGING. IT ALSO SEEMS LIKE WITH THE FRONT END BINDS UP AND POPS WHILE TURNING.

1997 Dodge Ram • 151,000 miles

When im driving the front end binds on a snowy road and it sounds like theirs a popping noise coming from the front end too. The 4 wheel drive takes a very long time to engage to and disengage I dont know why it does. Can you please help with these problems?
Jagerbombs192

Have you had it scanned for codes? Do the lights work properly?

Rivermikerat
Yea nothing comes up. And it takes forever to come on.

Jagerbombs192
Can you identify where in the front end the popping noise is coming from? Have you checked the suspension for loose or broken parts?

Is this a Ram pickup, Van, or wagon?

Rivermikerat
From the ring and pinon to the driver side. And yes I have checked everything and replaced
all of the tierods.

Jagerbombs192
Its a pickup. 1500 extended cab automatic

Jagerbombs192
It could be an axle bearing.
I'm going to guess that this is the Ramp 1500 pickup.
LOCKING HUBS - VACUUM CONTROL SYSTEM -1997 Dodge Pickup R1500
Page 1 of 2
TROUBLE SHOOTING

AXLE SHIFT MOTOR FUNCTIONAL TEST

1.
Raise and support the vehicle. Disconnect the vacuum harness from the axle shift motor and connect a vacuum pump to the vacuum shift motor front port. See Fig. 2.
Apply 15 in. Hg (51 kPa) of vacuum to the front port and rotate left front wheel to fully disengage the inner and intermediate axle shafts (i.E, shift to two-wheel drive operation).
The shift motor should maintain the vacuum applied to the front port for a minimum of 30 seconds. If the motor does not maintain the vacuum, replace it. If the motor does maintain the
vacuum, proceed to the next step.
Disconnect the vacuum pump from the vacuum shift motor front port. Connect the vacuum pump to the vacuum shift motor rear port, cap the port for the 4WD indicator lamp switch, apply 15 in.
Hg (51 kPa) of vacuum to the rear port.
The shift motor should maintain the vacuum applied to the rear port for a minimum of 30
If the shift motor does not maintain the vacuum, replace it. See AXLE SHIFT MOTOR under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. If the motor does maintain the vacuum, proceed to the next
step.
Remove the cap from the port for the 4WD indicator lamp switch. If vacuum was present, the shift motor is functioning normally. If vacuum was not present, go to next step.
Apply 15 in. Hg (51 kPa) of vacuum to the shift motor rear port. Rotate the left front wheel as necessary and ensure that the inner and intermediate axle shafts are completely engaged. The axles
must be completely engaged (i.E, shifted to 4WD operation) to open the port for the 4WD indicator lamp switch.
Determine if vacuum is present at the port for the 4WD indicator lamp switch again. If vacuum was present at the port, the shift motor is functioning normally. If vacuum was not present at the
port, replace the shift motor. See AXLE SHIFT MOTOR under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION.
Connect the vacuum harness to the shift motor. See VACUUM HOSE supports and lower the vehicle.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Seconds.
6.
7.
8.
ROUTING
. Remove the
9.
Fig. 2: Axle Vacuum Shift Motor Courtesy of CHRYSLER CORP.
DISCONNECT AXLE/SHIFT MOTOR DIAGNOSIS

Fig. 3: Four-Wheel Drive Indicator Light Will Not Go Out When Transfer Case Selector Is Moved From 4H To 2H Position (1985-93)
Courtesy of CHRYSLER CORP.
Fig. 4: Four-Wheel Drive Indicator Light Will Not Go Out When Transfer Case Selector Is Moved From 4H To 2H Position (1994-2002)
Courtesy of CHRYSLER CORP.
Fig. 5: Four-Wheel Drive Indicator Light Does Not Light When Transfer Case Selector Is In 4H Or 4L Position

1/16/2012
Page 2 of 2
Courtesy of CHRYSLER CORP.
FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE INDICATOR LIGHT

See appropriate GAUGES & INSTRUMENT PANELS article under ACCESSORIES & EQUIPMENT.

Rivermikerat
Your reply must have come in shortly after I opened the page.

Rivermikerat