WHITE SMOKE FROM UNDER HOOD BUT NOT EXHAUST

1997 Chrysler Sebring • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 123,000 miles

I am having a really perplexing problem with my 1997 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl. Convertible. A couple of weeks ago my belts (the ones located right next to cooler overfill container) broke. When I popped my hood to check it out I saw smoke. I got my belts fixed a week later and when I went to pick up the car I drove a few blocks and noticed whisps of smoke seeping from under my hood. I got home popped the hood and sure enough it was smoking a good amount of white smoke. I left the car alone for the night and the next morning I placed oil and drove the car a couple of blocks and the problem was just as bad. Then I noticed I needed coolant so I filled it and drove the car a few miles and there was no visible smoke. I left the car alone and tried the car out the following day and noticed a little smoke. Coming from under the coolant overfill container and under the radiator cap. I purchased a new radiator cap the same day and drove my car about a mile and faintly smelled coolant through my a/c vents. My a/c does not really work but I turned it on. I came back to my house and saw a little puff of smoke coming from under my engine. The thing that is driving me crazy is that the car only has smoke when I am driving or after I have driven the car. If the car sits in idle, smoke will not appear AT ALL and as soon as I get home from driving and pop the hood I will see smoke but it will soon dissipate when I turn off the car. I have absolutely no smoke coming from my exhaust; it is just from under my hood and I also checked my coolant container for any signs of oil as well as the oil top and dipstick for any signs of mixture and there is nothing. Also, my car is not overheating. What do you think the problem could possibly be?

I have the same problems with my sebring and I have no idea what it is. I have a 1998 Sebring Coupe V6 2.5. It just started have smoke come from under the hood about 2 months ago. I realized I had a oil leak. Just yesterday 9/10/2011 I had the Valve cover gaskets replaced as well as spark plugs and the intake manifold gasket. My car runs like a champ however when I park the car and open the hood there is still the smell of burning oil, and faint white smoke. The smoke does not look like it is coming from the top of the engine, it seems to be coming from the bottom. My boyfriend wiped the parts down and got all the old oil off, and yet still smoking. My coolant is fine, no leaks there and I have never had smoke come from my exhaust. I have no idea what it could be, but id love to know so I can feel good about driving my car again.

Raina30
Raina30,

I checked the problem with a mechanic around the way and he claimed that the problem was some valve gasket covers (or something like that) that need replacing. Each time I drive my car oil sloshes around and seeps out and drips onto the hot engine and creates the smoke that is also what is giving me the burnign smell. I have been riding around since just checking my oil and filling when necessary until I have enough money to fix the issue. I hope this helps you

Did ya get it fixed yet?

Fixitmr