REAR DIFFERENTIAL GEARS SHOT.

1997 Chevrolet Blazer • 220,000 miles

Would it be possible to engage my 4x4 drive, remove the damaged gears from the rear end and run effectively in front wheel drive with zero torque being transfered to the rear wheels? This would also include the rear end being oiled and sealed so the seals don't go dry and cause extra wear.
I know it is probably not the optimum work around but would it work short term as I get the money and parts together.
Rangerhutch

Removing the rear shaft to prevent torque transfer to rear differential can work but the rear differential would still be turning when the rear wheels are turning. You cannot remove the rear differential as the shafts needs the differential bearings to hold them in position so the correct answer is no, except for moving the vehicle around for parking etc but not long distance or high speed drivings.