BMW 740 TOOL PROBLEM

1997 BMW 740 • 175,000 miles

Checked my obd2 with peake fault code finder did not have a check engine light on but code 79 came up load calculation crosscheck (hfm vs tps) what does it mean and how do you fix it
Al davison

I am guessing the fault will not clear, is this correct? If it will clear and it isn't turning the check engine light on, let's forget it. If it wont, then you will not be able to fix it with the Peake tool. The fault may be set for plausibility of the 2 resistors in the TPS and/or calculated load in relationship to kgs/min at the HFM and usually a generic scan of a 1997 vintage BMW can be misleading, which is why I recommend using the BMW GT-1 scan tool, you may have to seek out your local BMW service provider to have this scan performed. So, let me know what you find out.

Dr. Hagerty
Thank you dr. Hagerty I thought it was one or the other what if I replaced the tps and the hfm the car runs flawless but every ounce in a while the cel comes on and I dont like the cel to come on let me know what you think about replacing both items thank you al

Al davison
To dr. Hagerty wanted to let you know I think I found the problem with the code 79 I pluged in my peake tool again code 79 came up this time code 20 came up also icv stuck I removed it cleaned it with carb cleaner blew it out gave it the shake test tried to give it a ohm test to many values listed dont know which one to use any way reinstalled it cleared codes and it hasnt been back since thank you for your help al

Al davison
Another patient cured

Dr. Hagerty