TRANS AND ENG FAILSAFE LIGHTS ON

1999 BMW 740

1999 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100010 miles

My 1999 740il stopped running. We had parked after driving for about 70 mil's for a break, started the car with no problems drove 500 feet and my Trans failsafe light came on along with the antilock light, 3 Sec's later my eng failsafe light come on and the car lost idle and we stopped. Car shows both lights now and will not start we have good battery power, key turns but no click and lights do not dim. WE are stuck in Grand Junction CO no bmw repair shop for over 200 mil's useing a friends laptop we need help. Can a auto parts store read my computer? We could get overnight parts from Denver. I am a Heavy Equipment service writer and can fix if I know whats wrong. A. Will Donate $ just don't have much.
Skyrider82

To clear the faults you may be able to use a generic OBDII scanning device available at most parts houses. The OBDII port is in the center console on the left side next to the cupholder, pull from the bottom to expose the port. Also if that does not help try doing what BMW calls a master battery reset, remove the negative battery lead, then touch the battery leads together and let it sit for 10 minutes, if these methods do not work you will need to seek out a BMW technician as there may be other issues involved.

Dr. Hagerty