TOYOTA T-100 CLUTCH PROBLEM

1996 Toyota T-100 • 151,000 miles

Just got my truck out of the Toyota Dealer shop. It was making some strange noises under the hood, didn't even want to drive it to the shop, had it towed.

Dealer invoice says:
151565 Fan Clutch Bearing Assembly locked up. Replaced bearing and housing assembly 2.50

Parts and labor listed were (as best I can tell):
16307-62011 Bradcekt Sub-Assy, FA. 529.00
Labor. 209.88
Sub-Total. $827.88

Does $529.00 seem very high for a Fan Clutch Bearing Assembly?

Thx!

- Tod

WITHOUT KNOWING YOUR ENGINE SIZE

I WENT WITH THE V-6 WHEN I FILLED IN THE BLANKS---I'M SURE PUTTING IN THE 4 CYLINDER WOULD BE SOMEWHAT SIMILAR

IS THIS WHAT YOU HAD REPLACED?
AS FAR AS WHAT YOU WERE CHARGEDTHEY SORTA GOT YOU BY THE ORNAMENTS WHEN YOU HAND THEM YOUR KEYS

READ THIS---MIGHT HELP YOU WITH FUTURE REPAIRS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2000-ford-focus-took-car-told-needed-new-front-brakes-on-top-many-other-things

ONE MORE THING THAT MIGHT ALSO AID YOU

I DO 99% OF MY OWN WORK ON MY OWN VEHICLES (EXCEPT AUTOMATIC TRANNYS AND WHEEL ALIGNMENTS......EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT A PAID MECHANIC.......I SAVE A BUNDLE!

SEE THIS ONE TOO---IT TOO WILL AID YOU---EVEN IF YOU DON'T DO THE WORK---SOME STUFF IS SO EZ, A 6 YEAR OLD COULD DO IT!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

LEMME KNOW IF THIS IS HELPFUL

It is a V6.

The first link gave me this error msg. "Oops! Something happened with your request! We were unable to locate this product."

I appreciate the other links. My issue is time/convenience. Just don't have the time so I depend on the convenience of having the knowledgeable/experienced people do the work. As you mentioned, there are inherent risks with that as well. Getting ripped off would be one.

What Googling I've done has shown the Fan Clutch Gear Assembly to be $150 or less. They charged $529.

My primary interest, at this time, is to verify the $529 pricing. Is that legit for a Toyota part?. Can that be confirmed?

Thx!

Todhegstrom
THE 1ST LINK SHOWED ADVANCE AUTO's FAN CLUTCH

HERE'S AUTOZONE's

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1996-Toyota-T100-Pickup-2WD/Fan-Clutch/_/N-j5g7uZ8ii1i?filterByKeyWord=FAN+CLUTCH&fromString=search

IS THAT THE SAME KINDA APPLES WE ARE COMPARING?.........or am I not finding the correct part?

SEEMS LIKE THE TOYOTA PART COST WOULD BE SIMPLE TO VERIFY

CAN YOU TRY CALLING ANOTHER DEALERSHIP......MAYBE 50 MILES AWAY?

GIVE THEM ONLY THE PART NUMBER ASK IF THEY HAVE IT AND HOW MUCH IT IS????

I WORK PART TIME AT A AUTO PARTS STORE. I DELIVER TO MANY DIFFERENT SHOPS. I SEE THE "BIG SHOPS" WITH AN..... "ADVERTISED REPUTATION" (SOME OF THESE, I WOULD NOT LET THEM DIAGNOSE MY 10 SPEED BIKE). .....AND YES, SOME HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION AND DO GOOD WORK (YOU PAY FOR THEIR OVERHEAD AND EXECUTIVE FELLERS)........THEN THERE'S THE $20,000 YELLOW PAGE AD AND TV COMMERCIALS

THEN THERE ARE SMALLER SHOPS.......EVEN SOME WAY OUT IN THE COUNTRY.....JUST AS QUALIFIED AS THE BIG GUYS (SOME EVEN MORE)......THEY SPREAD THEIR GOOD REPUTATION BY WORD OF MOUTH

IF YOU TAKE THE TIME, GET THE NAMES AS I PRESCRIBED IN MY 1ST ANSWER (LINK) VISIT THESE GUYS....EVEN JUST TO TALK AND WATCH 'EM AT WORK. YOU MAY FIND THAT "RIGHT GUY" WHO CARES ABOUT HIS WORK.....GOES OVERBOARD TO HELP YOU.....INEXPENSIVE

YOU'D GET IN SO TIGHT WITH HIM, YOU'D BRING HIM AND HIS EMPLOYEES COLD SOFT DRINKS IN THE SUMMER AND HOT COFFEE IN THE WINTER.........WHEN HE PERFORMS YOUR PERFECT/ CORRECT OIL CHANGES/ AND OTHER "NEEDED" MAINTENANCE ...........(NOT A HIT AND RUN, STRIP YOUR OIL PAN PLUG, AS MAY BE SEEN AT THE SUPER-DOOPER LUBE, PERFORMED BY "OFF THE STREET GUY")

YOUR MECHANIC SHOULD BE FOR EVERYTHING, IN MY EYES, OUGHTA BE LIKE YOUR DENTIST/ DOCTOR/ BARBER.......SOMEONE YOU CAN TRUST 100%......AND YOU TALK TO HIM ABOUT THE SITUATION.......NOT 3 FELLERS UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND, THAT SELDOM LEAVE THEIR OFFICE......PROBABLY AIN'T EVEN SEEN YOUR CAR AT THE SHOP!

IF I WERE IN DISTRESS, AND DID NOT DO MY OWN WORK.......I CAN THINK OF 2 LOCAL SHOPS, RIGHT OFF THE BAT, WHOM I WOULD TRUST WITH MY VEHICLE AND A BANK BAG FULL OF CASH SITTING IN THE SEAT, WHEN I LEFT IT WITH HIM!

ANY OF THIS HELPFUL?

I like the idea of calling a different Toyota dealer regarding the part number and price. I'll definitely do that.

In the past I've typically always used independent repair shops.
I've come to trust this Dealer's Repair shop since buying a 2yr old Used Camry a couple of years back.

Until now I haven't had any problems.

Thank you for your assistance and being a sounding board : -)

Todhegstrom
BE SURE TO LET US KNOW YOUR PHONE CALL FINDINGS

YOU'D BE BETTER OFF WITH A JEEP!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1995-mitsubishi-eclipse-knocks-smokes

SEE YOU SOON!

Had a Jeep Cherokee some 30 years ago. Stick, 4 wheel drive. Really enjoyed that vehicle.

However, we've been a Toyota family for quite a while. On our 3rd Camry, had this T-100 (151000 miles) for a long time as well.

I post again. When I figure out what's what with the dealer service.

Thx!

Todhegstrom