ALTERNATOR BELT WON'T TURN

1996 Toyota Corolla • 130,000 miles

Hi - I'm trying to get my daughter's used Corolla back on the road. I replaced the belt for the alternator, and got it on the pulleys okay, but now when I turn the engine over it won't turn. I adjusted the tensioner tighter and looser in both directions, but nothing happens. Is there something serious going on here? The belt goes around two other pulleys, and none of them are turning. I'm wondering what is going on, and don't like the idea of having to tear into the engine. Any help would be appreciated.
Mrrandy2020

Remove the belt and see if all the pulleys turn free by hand

Djcl
Was problem there before replacement of belts?

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what happened to prompt the replacement of the belt - I kind of just inherited this car, so I'm going in without knowing a lot of about the background. It's been awhile since I've worked on cars, so I'm behind the curve. I know the alternator pulley spins freely, but the belt goes around two other pulleys - I think 1 of them is the power steering pump (which I think had issues and wasn't working so maybe it’s seized) and the other is on the engine (crankshaft pulley?). There's another belt which is adjacent to this one, and it turns. I didn't look a lot at what was happening yesterday, but your input gave me some good starting points. Thanks.

Mrrandy2020
Let me know how it works out

Djcl
If you mean the engine runs without the belts turning, you have a bad harmonic damper and that means you need to replace the crank pulley.

No remove all the belts and see what doesn't spin with your hand

Djcl