FANS

1996 Toyota Camry • 4 cylinder • 185,000 miles

Radiator fans are not working when the car heats up. Tried unplugging Ect, still doesnt work and tried straight wiring fans to battery and fuse box. That method only works while car is off, when you start car the fans dont work. What could be causing this?
Rachelh89

Well you know now that the fans are good. Plug it all back in and run the car with a/c on. If its cold outside, get the inside of the car good and hot before running the ac otherwise it wont come on. Has the car overheated or run hooter than normal? If not it could be that because of the cold weather, the car doesn't have to run the fans as much, but if he ac clutch engages with the air on, then the fans should come on. If so, run the car and watch the temp gauge. If it starts to ride high an the fans still haven't come on, then you have a bad engine coolant sensor fan switch

The fans dont work. The car overheated and they still didnt come on. The fan doesnt come on for ac either.

Rachelh89
And where is the fan switch located on this car?

Rachelh89
You've jumped the fans to power so they work. That's good. Ive sent a diagram of where the coolant sensor is. This reads the temp and tells the ECM to turn them on. Relay number 33 controls your radiator fan from the ecm. Relay 34 does the same for the ac condenser.

This is where the relays are located. It may also be the problem. Switch 33 and 34 and see if it changes. Theyre exactly the same

Okay what I dont understand is that when I unplugged the sensor why the fan didnt turn on.

Rachelh89
Would that mean it has to be the relay?

Rachelh89
And my fuse box is different

Rachelh89
When you unplug that sensor your fan wont work because the circuit is broken. That sensor tells the ECM to turn the fans on. When you unplug it the ECM doesn't get any signal. Can you take a pic of your fuse box. This is the one my program showed you to have

Okay I was told you can unplug the sensor and the fans kick on for safety if the sensor was bad and that the fans will run the whole time with it unplugged and I cant take it now. There are two boxes and one has three relays in it. They did not appear to be interchangeable. What about the switch on the bottom of the radiator. Could that mess with the fans?

Rachelh89