PANEL FUSE BLOWS IN ABOUT A MINUTE AFTER YOU START DRIVING.

1999 Toyota Camry • 88,734 miles

1999 CAMRY LE 2.2L 5SFE 4 DOOR POWER WINDOWS/DOOR LOCKS/SEAT. CAR SET IN DRIVEWAY FOR 3 YEARS FOR WANT OF CYLINDER HEAD REPAIR. FINALLY REPLACED HEAD AND CAR RUNS FINE BUT DEVELOPED BLOWN PANEL FUSE AFTER DRIVING ABOUT A MINUTE. WAS OKAY BACKING OUT OF DRIVEWAY. PUT IN DRIVE AND SHORTLY AFTER FUSE BLOWS THEN SPEEDOMETER, TACHOMETER AND ODOMETER QUIT WORKING. WHEN KEY FIRST TURNED ON ALL PANEL ITEMS APPEAR. WITH FUSE BLOWN, I HAVE NOTHING ON PANEL AND WHEN KEY FIRST TURNED NOTHING ON PANEL WORKS. I TURNED ON HEADLIGHTS WITH FUSE BLOWN AND PANEL DOES LIGHT UP. WITH FUSE BLOWN WIPERS, A/C/HEATER, CIG LIGHTER, DOME LIGHT NOT AFFECTED. NOTHING LEFT ON WHEN ENGINE SHUT OFF. ALL WIRING LOOKS NORMAL AND HOOKED UP.I AM 81 YEARS YOUNG AND HAD MECHANIC DO ALL WORK. HE HAS NO ELECTRICAL EXPERIENCE(YET!). YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. TKS, PETE
Yataretep

Which specific fuse is blowing? Apart from the gauges, anything else not working?

HI KHLow2008, the panel fuse.

Yataretep
Do you mean the one marked "Gauge" in the diagram?

Affirmative. A diagram I had seen before called it panel fuse. Sorry.

Yataretep
Everything else working.

Yataretep
I just want to be sure so that we don't go barking up the wrong tree. It is also labelled panle fuse.

This fuse is for A/C switch, ashtray illumination, blower witch, clock, lighter illumnations, combination meter, glove box light, hazard switch, O/D main switch, radio and player, rear window defogger switch and rheostat.

There is a short in one of the components or their wiring circuit and this is not going to be easy to handle.

Since shorting only occurs after some time, this could mean a bare wire somewhere is coming into contact with body grounding points and vibrations would result in the circuit getting grounded. Check the wireharness for the dash panel and look out for clamped or bare wireharness.

There is a panel fuse of 7.5a but gauge fuse 10a is one that is blowing. Clock, radio, hazard lights, etc. All working with blown gauge fuse.

Yataretep
Sorry my bad. The components linked to this fuse is shown in diagram.

Just discovered that blown gauge fuse also causes power windows/door locks to not function.

Yataretep
Yup, that is because the integration relay is not being powered.