FAST CHIME WHEN OFF, PULLED FUSE NOW NO CRANK NO START

1996 Saturn SL1 • 165,100 miles

Bought a used car, drove it for over 100 miles and had no issues. The car has been chiming though with the lights off, and key out of switch. Was trying to figure out the cause, saw the door jamb switch was broke on the driver's side. Friend suggested pulling the chime fuse from inside the car so it wouldn't chime. Next day I try to start the car, all dash lights come on fuel pump comes on but turning it to start it won't crank or start and there's no clicking noises either. I put the fuse back in from the chime and the chime is working (radio is locked) and the car still won't crank or start.

Sethyoung

So the chime fuse is good?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Also have you checked the battery cables to make sure there clean and tight?Also had the battery tested?

I don't have a multimeter and the battery cables are secure, clean and tight. The previous owner had gone through most of the car. After some reading I'm wondering if it's a bad ignition switch?

Sethyoung
Maybe for the key chiming without the key in the ignition but for the no start really doubt it havent really seen many of those switches cause that. They aren't the easiset to change ethier. You need a multimeter and I will help you figure this out.

Alright update. Seems it's a theft deterrent to push the key into the lock cylinder when attempting to turn over the engine. Just sliding the key in and then turning without any pushing into the cylinder and it worked. Also I've got a broken door jamb that seems to be the cause of the chiming, I duct taped it flush and the car no longer chimes.

Sethyoung
That car doesn't have anything to do with the ignition switch for theft what's so ever. When you arm it with the key fob if you have factory keyless entry then the starter is disabled until you disable it by unlocking it with the remote. As far as a bad door jamb switch isn't going to be the cause of it chiming without the key in the ignition. All you did was disable the door jamb switch so the chime doesn't go off to warn you the lights are on or the key is still in the ignition.

Alright so the chime is a bad ignition switch since from previous reads on this site the ignition cylinder seems to have passed the test. When the key is pulled out it'll pop back out.

I'm not sure what to do with the "not start" since it's now starting without any issue because I'm not pushing the ignition cylinder in as I attempt to turn it over.

Sethyoung
Is the chime a slow one or a fast one?

I'll have to check tomorrow. I'll test the "lights still on" chime versus the regular one that was happening before I taped down the broken door jamb switch.

Does this car not have a "door is ajar" chime?

Sethyoung
No it only chimes if you leave the key in the ignition or the lights on and open the door. Let me know what you find.