PONTIAC SUNFIRE SENSOR PROBLEM

1996 Pontiac Sunfire • 200,000 miles

How do I bypass the anti theft switch? Car starts but runs only for 15 30 seconds and anti theft lite comes on and shuts car off. Very frustrating
Stadley

You cannot bypass the system. It needs to be operational and you need a Tech2 scan tool to be able to diagnose the problem.

Wrenchtech
Mines needed the passlock sensor, which was failling. Its in the ignition switch. With the resistor is built in. The sensor wasnt communicating with the resistor hendering the info to the module, shutting down the car. The part is 75 at partsgeek. Com. Or the resistor could be failing. Your key probably wouldnt have a chip. BUT if it does, look at youtube video nerdboytv and go from there.

Kimcclen
Please don't confuse the poster. This car has a Passlock system that doesn't use a resister or a key chip.

Wrenchtech
Ok, if it has the passlock system, then a passlock sensor COULD BE replaced then. Bypass passlock sensor @ autozone, oreilly, partsgeek. I said probably wouldnt have a chip also, read expert.

Kimcclen
I'll tell you again. This system uses no chip, no resister, and I'll bet you have no idea how to bypass this sensor. This system isn't shutting down at initial start up as an improper Passlock code would do so it needs to be diagnosed as first posted and stop confusing the poster with misinformation.

Wrenchtech