I.HAVE.A 96 GT, WHEN I TURN THE WHEEL ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT I FEEL A METAL CONNECTION IN MY LEFT FOOT. IT DOESN'T REALLY MAKE A NO

1996 Pontiac Grand Am • 110,770 miles

When I turn the wheel to the right all the way, I feel light grinding on my left foot, no noise. Once the car is driving straight it drives great. Turns left with no problems. Great running car brakes great.
Krys29

Check the tire and wheel well for evidence of scraping.

Rivermikerat
If I rotate the tires and balance them, could that maybe help to or maybe even solve the problem? Also not sure by what you mean as far as scrapping, how can I tell if there is evidence of scrapping?

Krys29
I'm afriad to drive it anywhere, not even in town b/c I'm not sure if it is good or not.I tried to today and it was just rumbling and grinding of metal but like I had mentioned it brakes fine. Could it by any chance be the driveshaft?

Krys29
You'll see rough worn areas on the tire. And you'll see shiny areas on the inside of the fender.

No. You'll just ruin another tire if the problem is what I think it is.

Rivermikerat
Sounds like its something bad, by how your talking. This car is in such great shape I don't want to see it be a big issue.

Krys29
Look at the tires for areas where it appears to have been sanded with really rough sandpaper.

Raise the front end until the tires clear the ground. Hold a piece of crayon or chalk against the center of the tread and spin the wheel until you have a solid line around the center of the outer circumference. Lower the car and measure across the front and rear of the tire. The rear should be about 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch farther out. When driving in a straight line, is the steering wheel perfectly aligned? Will the car continue in a straight line if you let go of the wheel for a few seconds?

Rivermikerat
It drives fine and needs an doesn't need an alignment. I got this car mixed with another car I asked about. Just sounds like metal on metal when I turn the wheel to the right to turn. No noise just when I go right. I'm sorry I got it mixed up.

Krys29
It drives straight as an arrow no scrapping or any ruffness on the tires. Its just bald on the front driver side.

Krys29
As you're turning the wheel or once the wheel is turned while the vehicle is in motion?

Rivermikerat
No the noise only happens when I'm in a stop postion going to turn right.

Krys29
Page 1 of 2