CAR STALLS AT OPERATING TEMP.

1996 Oldsmobile 98 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 48,000 miles

Hi, I have a 1996 oldsmobile 98, 3.8l v6. When the car heats up it stalls. I asked the auto parts store what they think and they said it sounded like the ignition control modual. I brought it to them to test, they tested it 6 times and each time it passed. Can anybody suggest what to do next? I have to try to fix it myself due to very limited funds. I would be thankful for any help. It seems every week it something else. Thank you.
Jeffluv98olds

Parts store sales personnels are not mechanics.

Is the Malfunction Indicator Light indicating?
Are you able to restart easily?

Stalling at operating temperature could be due to a fault with the idling system.

Your right, they are not mechanics. The check engine light is on, I did have a mechanic check that a while ago and he said I needed a oxygen sender. I does start right back up. When it heats up the idle goes up and down a couple of times then stalls. Thank you.

Jeffluv98olds
Yes, that indicates an idle control fault. Have the throttle body and IAC cleaned and retest.

A bad O2 sensor would result in increase in fuel consumption so it is best to get it replaced.

Do I have to take it to a repair shop to do this, or can I take the throttle body off and bring that or clean it myself? Can you tell me what an IAC is? Thank you.

Jeffluv98olds
If you are mechanically inclined, you can do the job yourself. A can of carb cleaner, a piece of rag and a toothbrush and some bacis tools are all you required.

IAC is Idle Air Control valve/solenoid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHb0g8GOojw&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41yFXjibtLY&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMa0nom1iwc&feature=related

The above link and related videos should be helpful.

Sorry dident get back sooner. Internet went down. Thank you, I, ll try that when I get my check and let you know how it went.

Jeffluv98olds
No problem, we have all the time in the world.

I did everything you said, the video was very helpful, but its still doing the same thing. Do you know what I could try next? I, ve included the trouble codes, but you probably wont be able read them. The codes were p0171, p0300, p1441, and p0441. I fixed the leaks in the evap. Canister, but I dont know where to go from here. My wife gets paid tomorrow, we will try to donate what we can then. Thank you

Jeffluv98olds
P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean. This is not a fault with any designated components but rather an operational fault which is one that is not easy to list because of the number of possibilities.

P0300 - Engine Misfire detected. Misfiring had been detected and it can be due to possibilities similar to P0171.

We will let the above be first and concentrate on other faults.

P0441 - EVAP system no flow during purge.

P1441 - EVAP system flow during non-purge.

These 2 codes contradict each other and it could be the EVAP solenoid vacuum hoses are interchanged. This could also cause the other codes to be triggerred.

Try reversing the EVAP Purge Solenoid valve vacuum lines and go for a test.

In no way did the codes indicate any O2 problem so I hope you have not tried replacing them yet.