REPLACING FUEL PUMP RELAY 96

1996 Nissan Sentra • FWD Manual • 260,000 miles

How exactly do I replace the fuel pump relay on a 1996 Nissan Sentra? Fuel pump has been replaced with an aftermarket Airtex when the car quit and was not pumping fuel; the fuel pump had been making a high-pitched whine anyway. It ran awhile and quit again. The mechanic changed out the coil and it ran (incidental?) A few miles, quit again. Tried pulling a fuel line at filter, didn't hear pump, no fuel came out when turned on. Back together, I hear the pump spin up when the key is turned on but no response when I try to start other than turning over. Now I have a new relay to put in but the best info I can find says it APPEARS to be what I see inside a supporting structure next to the steering column. Protection gets a 10, accessibility an 0.5. Cannot reach both sides of relay to release. Is there another way, or do I have to disassemble the entire dash area and take loose the steering support to get this relay?
Jimredman

If the pump is running, the relay is good. It may be that the original failed from dirt in the tank starving the pump and burning it out. The same may be happening to your pump. Remove the pump and look inside the tank. If you see debris, then the tank needs to be flushed out completely and fresh gas added as well as a new pump.
REMOVAL

Release fuel pressure.
Remove inspection hole cover located under the rear seat.
Disconnect fuel supply tube, return tube and electrical connectors.
Remove the six screws.
Disconnect fuel tubes and connector, then remove fuel gauge assembly.
Remove fuel pump with chamber.

Pull up the front of the chamber.
Slide chamber forward.
Remove fuel pump from chamber.

INSTALLATION
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

CAUTION: Tighten bolts to specified torque.

2.0 - 2.5 Nm (0.20 - 0.26 kg-m, 17.4 - 22.6 in-lb)
Always replace O-ring with a new one.
After installation, run engine and check for leaks at connections.

Thanks for the direction on this. I was thinking the relay might be kicking back off under load. But I will check out the pump closer now. It is new only a few miles ago, but I'm looking around on the Net and seeing mechanics claim a high failure rate for this brand.
When the pump was replaced, the tank was very clean.

Jimredman