CLUTCH TRANSMISSION AREA

1996 Nissan 200SX • FWD •

There is a vibration when the engine is at high rpms. It goes up and down with the rpms and stops when clutch released in gear and acceleration. This is a front wheel drive. The vibration goes down even when coasting at high speeds as long as the rpms go down
Jasendushane

Have the engine mounts checked.

Was any repairs carried out on the engine prior to this occurring?

I just got the car. As long its accelerating no matter how fast or high the rpms get, it is smooth. I rev it at stand still and its loud and sounds like a garbage disposal. And the right fender vibrates mostly. Its also loud when coasting in gear.
Thank you

Jasendushane
Could it be the harmonic balancer? It sounds like it comes from there. Would the vibration stop by accelerating? I dont even have to move as long as tention is put on the transmission it stops. So if I put it in gear rev it up its loud. Then if I put it in gear and release the clutch, the minute there becomes tention it stops.

Jasendushane
A harmonic damper would not cause too much vibratins and when engine rpm is increased, the vibration should lessen as the engine smoothes out due to the centrifugal force.

Check the engine mount, note if it is sagging or broken resulting in the bracket touching the body. If it is bad, it would not absorb the vibration and the higher the engine rpm, the worse it can get.

When the gears are engaged and accelerating, torsional movement of the engine could release the contact resulting in no vibbrations being transmitted.

Does problem goes away or maybe intensifies when reversing?

Well I believe that you are right. I put a can on the engine to watch as I put it in gear with my foot on the break. The engine moved a little too much. Next while holding the engine at a good rev I put a pry bar under the forward engine mount and the noise was gone. Thank you! I would have never thought of that. I had a for tempo that had a really bad mount. The whole engine would tilt 6inch if you took off too fast. It did not vibrate. Maybe because the mount was completely broke and did not connect hte engine at all. Hence no transfere through direct contact.
I thank you for your help, I bought this car for 500.00 and that was the only thing wrong with it. The guythought I had engine proglems, I knew other wise just did not know it could be that. THIS SITE IS AWESOME! THANKS

Jasendushane
You're welcome.

Have a nice day.