I HAVE CAR ISSUES AND IM ABOUT TO CRY PLEASE HELP

1996 Ford Crown Victoria • Automatic •

Hi I have a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria, and My car will go in reverse when its in park, it starts in nutural, and will go in drive when its in 2nd, but wont go into park at all now. From my understanding it may be the shifter cable, and it may be damaged or kinked? Or is it my transmission? I really need help!
ChrisaC

That's entirely possible but it would have to be inspected to determine that.

Wrenchtech
Does sound like the cable is out of adjustment/loose I would check transmission end first.

Fixitmr
More than likely the little adjuster on the cable under the dash is broken. There is a little thunbscrew there and the plastic threads break off inside the thumbscrew. If it is not broken, you can turn the thumbscrew to adjust the pointer. The part is either a dealer or junkyard part. Good luck.

Way2old
Thank You all very much, I will have to give it a look to find out what I can see I hope very much that its just the screw that got loosened!

ChrisaC
When you say wont go in park, you mean the car rolls or stays in reverse or another gear? Or it does go in park but the pointer dont indicate that it has?

Fixitmr
It reads that its in Park but really its just in reverse, then I have to mess with it shut it off and hope it dont roll. I have to say that it started this just this last winter. And you know how when your shifting gears, how you must push the break to switch it, other wise the teeth ( or what you may call them) stop it from going back to reverse or park well I must believe also that there may be a tooth missing between nuteral and drive because theres nothing stoping it from moving between the two? Im sorry if im confusing you but with out showing this is the only way I can think of describing it.

ChrisaC
Definitely sounds like the shift CABLE/LINKAGE is malfunctioning. Usually the hold down clamp on trans is broke/loose.

Fixitmr
One other thing to check. On the bottom of the steering column under the dash, there are 2 little torx head screws that hold the shifter in place. These are known to come loose. Last resort is the shift tube is broken or the shift tube bushings in the steering column are worn out or missing.

Way2old