THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE ON MY KEEPS BOUNCING AROUND FROM ALL THE WAY HOT TO NORMAL OPERATING RANGE. WHEN THIS FIRST STARTED I CHANGED TH

1996 Chevrolet Silverado • 14,900 miles

Temp gauge keeps bouncing from all thr way hot to normal operating range. When this first started I changed the thermostat, that did not fix the problem. I went to the local parts store to get a temperature sending unit, but they said that there was not one listed for a 1996 silverado 5.7 four wheel drive. Where is the temperature sending unit located on this vehicle?
Ridao

It shares a temp sensor with the computer. It sounds like there is air in the system, probably due to a leak but could be a blown head gasket also.

Wrenchtech
Try checking the coolant temperature sensor-On left cylinder head, near No. 1 spark plug.

Ras is right. There is a separate sender for the gauge in the side of that head.

Wrenchtech