EMPERATURE GAUGE KEEPS BOUNCING AROUND

1996 Chevrolet Silverado • 14,900 miles

The Temperature gauge on my 1996 silverado keeps bouncing around from all the way hot to normal operating range. When this first started I filled the radiator with coolant, Temp gauge keeps bouncing from all the way hot to normal operating range. When this first started I changed the thermostat, that did not fix the problem.

I went to the local parts store to get a temperature sending unit, but they said that there was not one listed for a 1996 silverado 5.7 four wheel drive. Where is the temperature sending unit located on this vehicle?
Ridao

It shares a temp sensor with the computer. It sounds like there is air in the system, probably due to a leak but could be a blown head gasket also.

Wrenchtech
Try checking the coolant temperature sensor-On left cylinder head, near No. 1 spark plug.

Ras is right. There is a separate sender for the gauge in the side of that head and check the connection of the wire to the sender, engine vibration can make it short.

Wrenchtech