- PROBLEMS STARTING

1996 Chevrolet Caprice • V8 2WD Automatic • 164,000 miles

I have a 1996 Caprice, and am having a lot of trouble starting it if sits for more than one day. After it sits for a while I have to crank it about 5 mins to get started (usually needing a battery charger to keep it going). Once it's warm, or has only sat for a few hours it starts on the first crank. Once it's started it runs great. It seems like doesn't get enough gas, but the fuel pump was replaced only a couple thousand miles ago.

Thanks for your help!
Smzmsu

I'd have to use a fuel pressure gage when the problem is ongoing. When the problem occurs, key on, no crank, can you hear the pump run? Sometimes cycling the key on and off a few times, without cranking, can help prime the system. How long since a tune-up?

I do hear the pump run for a couple of seconds when the key is on. I don't know how long it's been since a full tune-up, but I would guess a long time. However, the fuel pump was replaced, and spark plugs checked just a couple of months ago.

I don't have a fuel pressure gage. Or know exactly where to connect it? Does somewhere like Autozone do those kind of checks? Do you think it could be something where the is a leak in the line causing the pressure to drop too much when the car is off?

Thanks.

Smzmsu
The autostore used to loan out a fuel pressure gage. They also used to check trouble codes for free. You have to test when the problem is ongoing. I don't know if the autostore will do the actual fuel test? They can point out the schrader valve, where applicable.

Thanks for all of the help!

Smzmsu
Glad to help.