THE ENGINE SHUT DOWN EVERYTIME THE CAR IS ON REVERSE MODE WHEN I APPLY BREAK

1995 Mitsubishi Galant • 125,000 miles

I have an automatic transmission, when I put the gear on reverse the engine shut down every time I try to slow it down or apply break.I tried to adjust idle by making it high but its still the same.
Paulo1430

Take it to a shop and have it scanned for codes. Both soft codes (no check engine light) and hard codes. See if they can give you info concerning live data.

Rivermikerat
The TPS / Idle position switch settings need to be adjusted first, this will need a computer, the throttle body does not actually have an idle screw, it's called SAS (service adjustment screw) so if you've moved that then the stepper motor will also need setting to spec. Any good old school mitsubishi tech should be able to do this in under an hour.

Mattylad
It's an idle air adjustment screw. Mitsubishi may call it something else, but the industry normally calls it the idle air adjustment, as it adjust the amount of air entering the engine at idle.

Rivermikerat
I know what it is, and if you screw it in the revs will drop until the ECU compensates for the low revs by expanding the stepper motor and visa versa, if you just wind it in or out either way the stepper will compensate as much as it can, it is NOT an idle air adjustment screw!

Mattylad
Ok. If you say so. But WE'VE been calling them idle air control or idle air adjustment screws for about 30 years.

Rivermikerat
I know what your talking about exactly. Time to move into the modern age for some I guess. If you call a 95 Galant modern. Ive worked on mitsubishi for 20 years, think I know what im talking about in this case.

Mattylad
I know what an idle air adjustment screw is, but it does not apply in this case, I trust you have extensive knowledge of mitsubishi to be questioning me? Ive got the last 20 years on them myself, Senoir tech, Master tech, advansed diagnostic and electrics, Ralliart advanced etc etc. Any how, your wittering is not helping this lad with his car, I suggest you post a decisive answer as I have or bow down.

Mattylad
Test post.

Rivermikerat