MY RADIO WONT WORK

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 185,000 miles

I took the driver and passenger door off of my 95 grand Cherokee laredo and now the radio won't turn on. This is confusing because I did the same with my fourunner and it worked fine
Dhracer6061

Which radio model or style do you have? Does the display light up?

It's an aftermarket radio and no nothing lights up it almost seems like its unpluged but Idc if the power or ground had anything to do with the doors wiring

Dhracer6061
If it helps I didn't put the doors back on I took them off for off road purpose

Dhracer6061
Rats. I'm an expert on '90s Chrysler radios. I don't get involved with any aftermarket replacement models, but it sounds like you might just have a blown fuse. If your radio has a digital display, it will have two 12 volt feed wires; one is from the ignition switch to turn it on and one is live all the time for the memory. Some will not turn on at all if the memory fuse is blown. Some will work fine but the station presets and clock will reset each time you turn it on. Some will tune but won't have any sound.

The memory fuse is typically tied in with the interior lights but it could also be connected to anything else that's always live like the horn, brake lights, or cigarette lighter.

Is the stock radio harness tied into. The doors at all other than speaker wires?

Dhracer6061
The only thing after market is the sterio. All the speakers and stock harness is still hooked up

Dhracer6061
It is possible to have a switched power wire going into the doors if the vehicle came with the Infinity system. They will have either a remote amplifier under the right rear seat or the door and rear speakers will have small amps bolted to them. Unlike the complicated GM and Ford systems that must be paired with an amp when it is used, all Chrysler radios put out speaker-level output. The amps do not increase volume or power. They only modify the tone response for the shape of the vehicle.

The easiest way to see if you have the Infinity system is to look at the plug on one of the speakers. If it has four wires, it is the Infinity system. If it has two wires, there's either a remote amp or it's not the Infinity system. The Infinity model radios look and work exactly like the non-Infinity models but they put out less bass. The bass is made up in the amps. With those speakers and an aftermarket radio you'll find the sound is more pleasing if you turn the bass down.

There's a few different ways the amp(s) can be powered. Normally if there's four speakers with amps, they are powered through a "speaker relay" or "amp relay". The high-current switched power circuit has its own fuse and that's the one that would blow if you grounded the power wire in the door while the ignition switch and radio were turned on. The radio would still have a display and it would operate normally but the only sound you would get would very tinny. The dash speakers, (I think) would work but only the tweeter part of the rear and door speakers would work.

The other way they can be wired is a single remote amp has its own turn-on circuitry that is triggered by the "switched power" wire from the radio. All aftermarket radios have that wire too. It can also be used to run a power antenna. In this system there is no power wire in the doors for the speakers so you shouldn't be popping any fuses. The amp still has its own fuse. Again, if it was blown the radio would operate but with no sound.

Ok thanks I'll check all this out. I just want my radio back. Haha

Dhracer6061